If you're anything like Meagan in our office, your favorite candy is a Reese's Peanut Butter cup. She's been known to melt them into s'mores, freeze them during the summer, crush them into cookies or cupcake frosting and eat them at her desk. Obviously, she is a peanut butter fan and can eat them without reservation...but back in her days as a camp counselor she experienced a moratorium on her favorite candy due to a peanut allergy of one of her campers. And with food allergies on the rise, even activities like Trick or Treating are endangered. That's a different sort of scare for Halloween fans...


The Seattle Times had an article on how parents in Chicago are handling Trick or Treating with allergic kids. Since a peanut butter cup can send allergic kids into shock - and those nut proteins are in several candies - Halloween is a juggle between social activities and safety.


One mom, Jenny Kales, started a blog about her daughter's struggles with a peanut allergy and has a post devoted to handling Halloween. She recommends that allergic kids carry two bags - one for candy they know they aren't going to be able to eat (we're looking at you Reese's) and ones that could be safe depending on their ingredient label. Kales then recommends that her daughter try to swap her dangerous candies for her friends' safer ones. Whatever is left that is unsafe is swapped by her parents for lollipops and the like.


Kales also suggests that allergic kids go Trick or Treating on a full stomach. Candy that is dangerous will likely seem less problematic on an empty stomach (especially with younger ones who may not have had a reaction for some time). Some parents even tag along with EpiPens in case something sneaks by the snack food censors.


If you're interested in more of what Jenny Kales has to say, check out her blog at http://www.nut-freemom.blogspot.com/.