We get the question quite often - what can I do to save on my auto insurance premium? Aside from not accumulating traffic tickets and not making frequent claims, there are a few discounts that you can earn quite easily to save on your auto insurance. Here are a few discounts from our carriers that you may find you can take advantage of:
- Bundle your policies. Most carriers offer a multipolicy or account credit for having two or more policies with them. We can look at combining your home insurance with your auto, or adding an umbrella to save you some money on your auto coverage.
- Pay in full. Most companies will add an installment fee for monthly or frequent payments that they don't assess on payments in full. Some will even discount your overall premium if you can pay it all at once. And, for simplicity's sake, it may be easier not to worry about a monthly insurance bill!
- Pay for services you need only once. If you have AAA or Roadside Assistance through an association you probably don't need towing coverage on your auto policy. Why pay twice?
- Look into accident forgiveness. Safeco and Progressive offer programs that give you discounts for good driving or remove a ticket or accident depending on how you drive during the required monitoring period. While the rules and discounts vary, it's something to look into if you feel confident you're a good driver.
- Take a safe driving or defensive driving course. Showing that you have a certificate of completion for safe driving classes can earn you a discount for around 2 years.
- Carpool or take public transit. If you can commute less, you'll often save on your insurance as you aren't putting as many miles on your car and are at less risk of an accident.
- Ask about good or distant student discounts. If you have a child with a 3.0 or better GPA, or attending college over 100 miles away, you may be able to save on your auto insurance. Most companies will offer a discount for students with great grades or living at school without regular access to a car.
While these discounts are not all of the ones that are out there, we notice that these are the most common for our clients. If you are looking for more ways to save, give us a call. We're happy to help find you the best value for your premium dollars.